|
Congolese Braced for More Trouble
Institute for War & Peace Reporting
November 8, 2006
By Ayesha Kajee in Johannesburg
There are widespread fears that the eventual loser in the presidential race will
revert to violence.
At the end of the last millennium, the Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC, truly
seemed to be, in Joseph Conrad's words, Africa’s “Heart of
Darkness”.
The vast country, at the centre of the continent, sprawling across the equator
and along and around the 4,400 kilometre-long Congo River and its innumerable
tributaries, was embroiled in brutal civil wars and had been invaded by various
African neighbours intent on exploiting DRC’s immense mineral wealth.
It is evident that if the continent as a whole was to prosper, then this ailing
heart of Africa required resuscitation and large-scale repair.
The first pulses of new lifeblood began to flow with the 2003 signing of the
transitional peace deal the Global and All-Inclusive Agreement, largely brokered
by South Africa, between the government of incumbent president Joseph Kabila and
rebel factions in various parts of the country.
Despite periodic heart scares in the form of rebel insurrections and
ethnic-linked violence during the past three years, the DRC, with military and
political support from the international community, made history in July this
year when its first national elections in 46 years were pronounced to be
generally free and fair.
But the entrenchment of decades of violence as the favourite method of the
Congolese for settling disputes was revealed when Kabila failed to secure an
outright majority in the first round of voting.
Disgruntled supporters incited riots in which between 20 and 40 people were
killed in the Congolese capital, Kinshasa. Isolated violence during the second
round at the end of October forced two repeat votes during early November, in
Ituri province - the focus of the historic first case of war crimes to be
brought before the fledgling International Criminal Court in The Netherlands -
and in the northwestern Equateur province.
The wanton destruction of voting stations in these areas indicates the fragility
of the situation and there are widespread fears that the eventual loser in the
presidential race will revert to violence.
The final result of the second round ballot between Kabila and challenger
Jean-Pierre Bemba is expected only in late November. The result is likely to be
quite close, for a variety of reasons. Torrential rains on election day on
October 29 and during the previous night resulted in low voter turnout in some
parts of the country. A smaller turnout in Kinshasa may favour Kabila, since the
capital is regarded as a Bemba stronghold together with most of the western
provinces. But turnout has also been low in the Swahili-speaking eastern parts
of the country, where Kabila enjoys massive support.
The way more than thirty per cent of the population who voted for other
candidates in the first round now recast their ballots, especially in the two
south-central Kasai provinces, will probably be the deciding factor in who
becomes the president of the newly and truly Democratic Republic of Congo.
“The first time round, in the two Kasai provinces, about 50 per cent of
the population stayed away from the polls because they support Etienne
Tshisekedi (a popular politician who boycotted the election),” Moemesi
Kepadisa, who traveled in the Congo as a member of the South African election
observer team, told IWPR. Kepadisa said there was a much higher turnout in Kasai
in the second round, with many people telling him, “We are going to the
elections to vote against Kabila.”
Although Tshisekedi has refused to endorse either candidate, Oscar Kashala, who
is widely regarded as Tshisekedi’s heir, has supported Bemba and taken
many voters with him. First-round contenders Antoine Gizenga and Joseph Mobutu
Nzanga have thrown their weight behind Kabila, but they have not managed to
swing their support base into the Kabila camp. Nzanga’s supporters
especially are mainly from the northern Equateur region, a known Bemba
stronghold.
A Bemba victory would create profound legal, political and moral dilemmas in The
Hague at the headquarters of the ICC, which is at the early stages of a
preliminary investigation into war crimes alleged to have been committed by
Bemba and others in the DRC's northern neighbour, the Central African
Republic.
Kinshasa remains on edge and apprehension that a sore loser will return to
bloodshed is palpable among the plush river-facing homes where both Kabila and
Bemba as well as many diplomats live. Residents witnessed armed combat between
Kabila and Bemba supporters in August and saw Bemba’s helicopter reduced
to a pile of scrap-metal.
Supporters of both contestants have already claimed victory. Apollinaire Malu
Malu, who heads the DRC’s electoral commission, warned that "false
and premature statements” would "create a climate of useless and
dangerous tension".
At stake is control of the country’s huge mineral riches, including
diamonds, gold, copper, coltan, cobalt, bauxite and potential oil fields. French
and US support of the corrupt and oppressive regime of Mobutu Sese Seko in the
Cold War era facilitated large shipments of arms into the country. This was
followed by the provision of rear-bases and weapons to Congolese rebels by
neighbouring states, notably Rwanda and Uganda, intent on looting the country's
resources. An estimated four million people have died in the Congo's varied
conflicts since 1999 and some two million have become internal or external
refugees.
Though the Congolese people are weary of conflict, their leaders have failed to
fully honour disarmament provisions in the transitional peace agreement. Various
factions, including the Kabila and Bemba camps, have retained much of their
military capacity and even re-armed, despite the presence of the largest United
Nations’ peacekeeping force in the world.
While Kinshasa is ostensibly a demilitarised zone, Dr John Stremlau, of the
Atlanta-based Carter Centre for human rights election observation team, noted
that “Bemba has been moving arms all around Kinshasa over the past few
weeks … But senior diplomats believe that he is not about to do a
putsch”. Rather, the argument goes, Bemba believes that if he does win the
election he may need to restrain Kabila’s supporters, especially among the
so-called Republican Guard who were involved in the August violence.
Some analysts believe that it was only the presence of additional European Union
forces, EUFOR, bolstering UN troops in Kinshasa that averted a messier bloodbath
during the August unrest. Dr Chris Fomunyoh, of the Washington-based National
Democratic Institute for International Affairs, warned that the proposed pullout
of EUFOR at the end of November may herald a return to violence on the part of
the loser.
“The loser could choose to be magnanimous or he could wait until the end
of the month and exploit the security vacuum that EUFOR’s departure will
leave,” he said.
Stremlau is more optimistic, though he conceded that both Kabila and Bemba have
blood on their hands. “It is the Congolese people’s choice, and if
the elections are free and fair, then neither Bemba nor Kabila can afford a
return to zero-sum politics,” he said. He pointed out that the interim
constitution makes provision for the provinces to keep some of their revenues:
therefore whichever candidate loses will have control of several provinces, and
with the help of the international community a government of national unity can
and should be formed.
Despite the constitutional provisions, ordinary Congolese place little faith in
the power of the provinces and the role of provincial governors. “People
we spoke to felt that most of the candidates in the elections were shady
characters," said Kepadisa. “They see the provincial governor as a
tool of national government.”
Even though the governors are elected, people perceive that they will be
dependent on Kinshasa for funds and their experience of politicians at national
level has been that they are incorrigibly corrupt people who make little attempt
to ensure that development occurs at provincial and local levels. Indeed,
considering that the DRC is comparable in size to Western Europe, it has a mere
300 kilometres of tarred roads. Kepadisa notes, “To get to some areas, we
had to literally drive through dongas [chasms] passing as roads.”
If Kabila retains the presidency, he could follow on his record of 2003 when he
agreed to appoint four deputies from among the rebel leaders. By inviting Bemba
into a unity government, he would earn global cooperation and goodwill similar
to that showered upon post-apartheid South Africa.
Similarly, if Bemba becomes president, he could choose to be magnanimous and
create an elder statesman role for Kabila, given the latter’s contribution
to ending the civil war. This presupposes that both Kabila and Bemba can
restrain the extremist elements among their supporters and that the 35-year-old
Kabila, having tasted the power of the top job, has the maturity to concede
defeat gracefully.
Even if Kabila does lose, his party already has a parliamentary majority and has
formed a sufficiently strong alliance to allow it to appoint the prime minister,
who will appoint the cabinet, but who will be second in power to the president.
Both contenders are relatively young and will have the opportunity to contest
future elections in the event that they lose. There is of course the danger that
if the country is split into two, along an east-west axis, one region will
choose to secede, and the danger that this could spark yet another Congo
conflict is very real.
Manipulation within the neighbourhood is another potential threat, with reports
that Angolan troops have massed on the Congolese border in an implicit threat to
intervene in the event that its ally, Kabila, loses. Uganda’s president
Yoweri Museveni, who has supported and provisioned Bemba, cannot be left out of
the equation. Nor should Rwandese president Paul Kagame, who has backed various
factions and militias
It is high time that the Congolese people, who - because of the historic
politics of racial colonial superiority and naked post-colonial greed - have had
little opportunity to develop their country or their human potential, be allowed
to choose to progress. Peaceful elections are only the beginning. With the help
of the international community, the elections must be reinforced and the new
government must be fast-tracked into the institutional mechanics of governance,
a weighty but not impossible task.
Though the heart of Africa has been resuscitated, it is weak and total recovery
will be slow and painstaking. But a healthy Congo, pulsating with the lifeblood
of commerce and industry, would, in the long term, benefit the whole continent
and the rest of the globe. It is up to the world to apply sufficient political
pressure to ensure that a return to violence becomes an ever-receding
possibility in the DRC.
Ayesha Kajee is a researcher at the South African Institute of International
Affairs.
© IWPR
|